Apartment refurbishment in Rotherhithe
This project is a high standard two bedroom apartment refurbishment in Rotherhithe. It is on the bank of river Thames.
Firstly, the Architect prepared detailed drawings and specifications. According to those, we have made changes to the property. The main idea was to combine ergonomics and functionality. As a result, the owners could accommodate needs of the growing family of 4.
We began with complete strip of the existing apartment. Further, drywall plasterboard ceilings and partition walls were torn down. All electrical wires, plumbing, bathroom and kitchen fittings were now redundant. Furthermore, we removed them and created clear slate for new installations. What began as dull and outdated 2 bedroom apartment. But now it is consisting of:
- An open plan kitchen.
- Bright dinning room.
- Master bedroom.
- Children's bedroom.
- Spacious glass study room.
The glass study room would also double as a guest bedroom.
Architect had 3 main ideas how to improve the space and feel of the apartment. These are as follows:
- Get rid of the awkward narrow hallways. Instead of those use the floor space to create large open-plan kitchen-diner.
- Build glass room connected to living/kitchen area. The purpose of the room being multipurpose, for instance:
- Study place to work from home. Because of the transparency of the glass which allows the parents visual contact with the sibling. But at the same time cutting out the disruption.
- Guest bedroom. Once motorised night blinds are down and you unfold purpose made sofa it turns into guest bedroom.
- Create larger opening with sliding patio doors to communal garden. This is to allow to overlook the river.
Moreover, owners and Architect also paid attention to specify electrical installation with Wireless switches and dimmers. These operate LED lights across the rooms.
Other work includes:
- Canceling radiators and replacing it with electrical underfloor heating. So the usable space was increased.
- Control of the temperature via thermostats as well as mobile app. Because it is much more convenient.
- Custom-made joinery.
- Sliding pocket doors.
- Suspended ceiling with lighting races over kitchen island.
- Engineered floor throughout.
- Bathroom finished with ultra thin Parcel-Thin large format tiles.
- Modern kitchen supplied and fitted by John Lewis.