Full refurbishment of an apartment based in a prominent London area - Kensington. At first glance apartment looked OK but had a potential to be outstanding with the location, views over private gardens, high ceiling and period features. After full refurbishment it looks completely reformed and modernised, however still maintains its Victorian feel.
The main things that made major difference:
- We installed water underfloor heating throughout the whole apartment. This allowed to get rid of bulky radiators, making feel entire apartment more pleasing to the eye and somehow more spacious. To retrofit underfloor heating is we had to remove all the existing radiators and cap off old pipe work. Next step was to lift the old floor as well as subfloor and remove skirting boards. Once everything was removed we installed chipboard sheets with pre-made groves for the pipes. After our plumber installed all the pipework, floor layers installed another engineered floating herringbone style floorboards in the open plan living and kitchen area, marble tiles in the hallway and beautiful carpets in bedrooms also in herringbone pattern.
We removed wall separating living room and the kitchen. This has made a big difference - now the apartment had a modern layout- spacious, open living space connect to small kitchen. Perfect solution to hosting guests or to spending family time and not having to hide yourself in the kitchen. For the wall removal we had to obtain structural engineers report. Thankfully in this case it was not structural (load bearing) wall. Since structural calculations and steel installation were not required, we were able to go ahead with removal right away. After the wall was removed we made good to the walls and ceiling. We also had to re-instate floral period coving. Custom templates were made from existing coving, then coving was made and finally installed. Now you would not be able to tell that there was once a wall at all!
Full refurbishment included:
- Installed 4 Nest thermostats, to control underfloor heating in each separate area. One main Nest thermostat was set to control hot water.
- Installed new kitchen cabinets and appliances.
- Laid engineered wooden flooring in the living room.
- Marble tiles covered the floor in the hallway.
- Installed marble kitchen island with track lighting above.
- Installed brand new herringbone pattern wool carpet in both bedrooms.
- Made two custom arches in the hallway.
- Installed new skirting.
Have a look at the project picture gallery - maybe you will find some ideas that will catch your eye!