Feeling cramped in your house and would like to open and create space? Having build number of extensions we have picked up few things along the way that might help you. A lot of the times the first question springs up: How much does it cost?
Even after years of estimating residential projects I still find it hard to give figure to cover all instances. However, in short: typical terraced house extension shell in London will cost you £35k upwards subject to vat.
The potential additions (I will only give minimum not exceeding mid budget) inclusive of all building works and all supplies:
- Bifold doors £2-5k
- Kitchen £3k to 15k(can be much more for high end)
- Bathroom £3k - 7k
- Toilet or utility room £1k - 3k
- Flooring and skirting £2.5k
- Lighting and electrics £1k
- Rooflights £1k
Other things you must plan the budget for
- Planing permission application, party wall agreement, planning and construction drawings, structural design and building control application £1,5k- 5k (if your project requires hiring Architect you will need a budget for architectural design work)
- Alterations of existing house subject to scope and size £700-£1500 per m2
- Landscape and external works subject to scope
These figures are very approximate and I would strongly advice to get an estimate specific to your project.
In order for us - builders to provide you with accurate quote you will need drawings, scope of works and schedule of fittings. But, we will come back to this a bit later in this article as we want to know what are the legal obligations before starting with the construction.