For this project, the AFL team had fully refurbished a lovely apartment in one of London's most prominent areas. With views over private gardens, astonishing high ceilings, and possessing period features - the property was only being held back by a mediocre inner layout from unleashing its full potential. Ultimately, not doing justice to its location.
But not for long, because Andrew and his team were ready to make the very best out of our client's home.
The main things that made major difference:
- We removed the wall separating living room and the kitchen. This has made a big difference - now the apartment had a modern layout- spacious, open living space connected to a small kitchen. The perfect solution to hosting guests or to spending family time and not having to hide in the kitchen. For the wall removal, we had to obtain structural engineers report. Thankfully, in this case, it was not structural (load bearing) wall. Because structural calculations and steel installation was not required, we went ahead with removal right away. After removing the walls we began to make good to the walls and ceiling. We also had to re-instate floral period gypsum coving. Using existing coving we have made custom templates. The coving was then made and installed to perfectly fit. Now you would not be able to tell that there was once a wall at all!
- We installed water underfloor heating throughout the whole apartment. This allowed to get rid of bulky radiators, making feel entire apartment more pleasing to the eye and somehow more spacious. To retrofit underfloor heating, we had to remove all existing radiators so we could cap off old pipework. Next step was to lift the old floor as well as subfloor and remove skirting boards. After removing everything, we installed chipboard sheets with pre-made groves for the pipes. Our plumber then installed all pipework, floor layers installed another engineered floating herringbone style floorboards in the open plan living and kitchen area, marble tiles in the hallway and beautiful carpets in bedrooms also in herringbone pattern.
Full refurbishment included:
- Installing 4 Nest thermostats, to control underfloor heating in each separate area
- Setting one main Nest thermostat to control hot water.
- Installing new kitchen cabinets and appliances.
- Laying engineered wooden flooring in the living room.
- Marble tiles covered the floor in the hallway.
- Installing marble kitchen island with track lighting above.
- Installing brand new herringbone pattern wool carpet in both bedrooms.
- Making two custom arches in the hallway.
- Installing new skirting.